The resource section is here to support women through the various phases and stages of motherhood, from pre-pregnancy and beyond. We’ve curated content on diverse topics relevant to diverse mamas.
Adventure and Challenge
We believe there’s power in setting big goals, training hard, and pushing past perceived boundaries. Adventure and challenge-based endeavors provide us with opportunities to do all of these things. We recognize that the growth, skills, experience, and sense of well being that we accumulate on the trail make us better mothers, professionals, partners, and more. The field of Adventure Therapy is growing rapidly and we’re happy to be involved in the discussion. To learn more about why we choose adventure and how it can be empowering, explore the links below.
- 1,000 Miles of Adventure Finale by Cristen Jester via AMI Blog
- How To Train For Thru-hiking via REI
- Are You Standing In Your Own Way? via Outdoor Women’s Alliance
Mom’s mental and physical well being drives the family and should be valued and supported. Women shouldn’t be expected to let go of things that brought them happiness and identity once they become mothers. Women should be encouraged to continue to carve away time to pursue their passions and maintain their personal identity outside of motherhood. It’s important to understand that a mother’s well being affects the well being of her family, community and society at large, and having the freedom to exercise self care is essential in maintaining a positive identity.
- My Year of Living Big and Growing Up by Karen DeWolfe via AMI Blog
- What is Self Care? via Habits for Well Being
- Is Balance a Thing? Why Cyclical Self Care is My Jam via A Whole Story Podcast
- Finding Herself As a Wild Woman in Motherhood via WHOA Mag
As advocates for maternal health and wellness, we want to open up conversation and perception about pelvic and abdominal health. Often women are lead to believe that pelvic floor dysfunctions are part of the cost of motherhood. However, while common, these challenges are not “normal” or “just part of being a woman.” The resources below outline the importance of pelvic health.
- Introduction to Pelvic Health by Lacey Welch via AMI Blog
- Find a Pelvic Health Physical Therapist via APTA Section on Women’s Health
- Leave the Shit Behind: Lessons from a Pelvic Physical Therapist by Tamra Wroblesky
- On Race, Health, and Leaking by Uchenna “UC” Ossai via Icon
At AMI, we know the value of adventure and time outdoors. An increasing body of evidence is building to support the health and wellness benefits of connecting with the natural environment. Explore the resources below for more information on the benefits of time in nature.
- A Prescription for Nature by Daphne Miller via National Parks Conservation Association
- Forest Bathing: A Retreat to Nature Can Boost Immunity and Mood by Allison Aubrey via NPR
- 12 Science-backed Reasons to Spend More Time Outside by Kevin Loria via Business Insider
- Spending Just 20 Minutes in a Park Makes You Happier by Jamie Ducharme via TIME
The tragedies of grief and loss are profoundly heartbreaking, especially for a mother. Grieving is a unique and intimate experience that looks different for every individual. As a tribe, we must tenderly care for those who are overcoming a tragedy and offer them the space, time, and respect they need to address their experience . These compassionate resources are here to both support you in your journey and to help guide our community in sensitively caring for one another during times of tragedy.
- 4 Healing Nature-Based Rituals (Because Spring is Just Around the Corner) via Mind Body Green
- When a New Mother’s Joy is Entwined With Grief via The New York Times
- How to Support a Friend Who is Going Through a Rough Patch via The Chalkboard
- Seleni (Grief Advice and Support Services)
While motherhood brings many beautiful and challenging changes into a woman’s life, foregoing an athletic lifestyle style should not mandatorily be one of them. There are many benefits to maintaining physical passions throughout pregnancy. At AMI we believe in using current research to support an active and healthy pregnancy for both mom and baby.
- Infinite Amateur: Surfer Style by Audrey Hills via AMI Blog
- New Canadian pregnancy guideline shows exercise cuts odds of major complications by 40% via Global News
- How To Adventure While Pregnant via The Outbound Collective
- Tips on Trail Running Through Pregnancy by Brigid Pickett via AMI Blog
- Unstoppable: Backcountry Skiing While Pregnant via Outdoor Women’s Alliance
It can be challenging to maintain a balanced and nutrient rich diet while juggling motherhood and living an adventurous lifestyle. However, during pregnancy and beyond the postpartum period in a mother’s life nutrition is incredibly important for both her and her baby. We strive to help mothers get all the latest information on how to best fuel both themselves as well as their families, especially while on the go in the great outdoors.
- Rainbow Curry Burritos Are And Easy, Art Project of a Camp Meal via Adventure Journal
- Backcountry Dinner Recipe: Peanut Noodles via Outside Online
- 14 Healthy, Delicious Homemade Snacks For Hiking via Backpacker
- The Eating Instinct – Motherhood and Diet Culture via Motherbirth
- How Mindful Eating Transforms our Lives by Lynn Rossey
Sexuality and Partnership
A topic that is far too taboo is women’s sexuality, especially through the pregnancy and postpartum seasons. Intimacy is a critical component to a healthy partnership and in turn can have positive effects within the family. However, all the changes that occur during pregnancy and after a new baby arrives can be disruptive to body image and sexual identity. It is important to support healthy sexuality after family expansion while also developing partnership between parents.
- Sex Coaching Tip of the Month – Increase Your Sexual Knowledge via The Healing Group
- Why Pregnant Couples Should Totally Have Sex (and how to do it well!) via Mind Body Green
- The Many Faces of Family and Love: There is no “Best” One via Psychology Today
- Getting the Sex, Intimacy, Healing, and Support You Need After Birth via Motherbirth
Pregnancy and Birth
A woman’s needs and desires for her birthing experience are unique and important. Often, there are many decisions to be made including where to give birth, what interventions to use, what type of support to utilize, and who is present, and more. It is empowering to go into childbirth feeling informed and prepared knowing you have made the best decisions for yourself and your baby. Helping women become educated on birthing options and how to prepare for childbirth physically, mentally and emotionally builds confidence and and empowers women to own this right of passage in their lives.
- Guided Pregnancy Yoga via AMI Blog
- Redefining My Second Pregnancy by Brigid Pickett via AMI Blog
- Building Your Birth Team via Choices in Childbirth
- How to Prepare for Birth: 8 Tips from a Doula via Fit Pregnancy
- Natural Labor Birth Kit via Wellness Mama
- Your Pregnancy Week by Week via VeryWell Family
- More Than Just a Birth Plan: Crucial Questions to Discuss With Your Partner by Parent Co Studio via Motherly
Supporting women’s wellness is at the core of everything we do here at AMI. Postpartum wellness is an especially critical period as it’s such a vulnerable time. After bringing a baby into this world, women need peace, nourishment, security, community, and a space to be authentic. They need support and encouragement, they need to be taken care of and loved on. The resources in this section have been curated for women who’ve recently given birth and for those passionate about better supporting them.
- Rethinking Postpartum Care by Sara Reardon via TedxLSU
- Episode 91: Postpartum via She Explores
- Project Swaddle Then Send via AMI Blog
- Moms Would Look After Themselves After Baby If They Could, But It’s Impossible Without Help via Romper
- 8 Things No One Tells You About Post-Baby Recovery and Self-Care via Mind Body Green
We acknowledge and celebrate that we are all moms, which means that for every solo adventure you schedule for yourself, there are a dozen family adventures. Every backcountry ski day was preceded by ten days spent on the magic carpet teaching a toddler to ski and every route climbed is surrounded by days spent wrangling kiddos at the local gym. We love and encourage family bonding outside under the stars and around campfires. We are passionate about instilling values of positive stewardship and promote a deep love for the wild corners of our world within our children through shared adventure.
- Life As An Adventure Papa by Michael Nobbe via AMI Blog
- Junior Ranger Programs via NPS.org
- 5 Tips and Tricks for Teaching Kids LNT via Leave No Trace
- Hiking With Young Kids? Follow These Tips via Outside Online
- Backpacking With Kids – Expert Advice for Backcountry Camping via Outdoor Families
Motherhood is never ending, whether you’re changing diapers, paying college tuition, or babysitting grandbabies–you are a mother forever. Women with adult children have their own set of needs and challenges and also possess invaluable knowledge that should be passed along to new mothers. Women of all generations can and should connect with one another, share knowledge, find new adventure partners, and mentor one another.
- For the Love of Aging by Tess L via the AMI Blog
- Beyond the Nuclear Family: The Increasing Importance of Multigenerational Bonds
- American Grandparents Association
- At Age 67, Swimmer Honors Brothers With World Record Career
Community is an important element of a happiness and health. When a woman embarks on her journey into motherhood, community is essential for finding support, advice, and camaraderie. However, building community is not passive; compiling a support system requires an investment of time and energy. There’s often a lot of comical and awkward “mom dates” that take place in order to find YOUR community and here at AMI, we’re committed to helping you connect with the raddest, most compassionate people around.
- You Don’t Have to Be a Mama by Taylor Morgan via the AMI Blog
- This Study of New Mothers Reveals the Importance of Community by Tyler Tervooren via Riskology
Single motherhood presents unique and acute challenges. Here at AMI, we want to help these mamas to find the alliances and support systems they need to feel empowered and able to pursue their passions.These resources acknowledge the obstacles unique to single mamas and can act as a guide in building out a community that will support single mamas in their adventurous endeavors.
- Getting Out as a Single Adventure Mama by Avril Weirs via AMI Blog
- Single Parent Support Network
- Single Mother Statistics
- Choosing to Go: Accepting Risk as a Single Mom via Outdoor Project